Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Lady of the Lake. Vernonia Lake




The purpose of moving to Vernonia, Oregon in 2004 was to invest in a property that would offer more retirement income, or stay in a house that was paid for, and to write a book, as I looked over the lake. My 7 children were raised and had flown the nest, some sailing along, others screeching and flailing. My father was no longer living with me as my cancer surgery necessitated caring for myself. My burned out self.... My father was hospice stage, sick and tired of being sick and tired he said, and I readied myself to lose my best friend. My long distance relationship of 4 years was over. Since I raised my children as a single parent after my 1985 divorce, and because of circumstances that made it impossible to ever know what a normal family life would have been like, my 'empty nest' experience was profound.
Having fought endocervical cancer for 8-10 years, I was given no prognosis, and I spent the first year wondering if I would live. The second was spent wondering if I wanted to, or should. I prefer honesty, and that is what you will get here. I reconnected to Shaklee food supplements, fresh fruit and vegetable juicing, and walking and biking around Vernonia lake. I have slowly been recreating myself, though I encounter the lifelong challenges that never seem to leave me.
My book is being written, though too slow for my personal approval, and is called 'When Love is Not Enough'. It will be interspersed with my favorite family recipes, photos and poetry I wrote along the way. The sadness and truth spoken about family, and the human family remind me of the raw accounts in The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski.
I have reporting to do about elder abuse and violations of civil rights that have become common place in America, healing from sexual abuse and the destruction of families and dreams, forgiveness, rebuilding and remodeling my life and this small house. Along the way I've taken a Master Gardener's course, have provided room and board and explored new recipes and healthier ways to cook.
I worked as a Graduate Research Assistant when earning my Masters in Social Work, or MSW, and have researched and joined with a favorite company of mine to help people reduce their toxic load by using green cleaners, air and water purifiers and utilize food supplements for optimal health. I have collected methods and accounts for fighting various cancers, and am an encyclopedia about nutritional treatment for many ailments like Candida, arthritis, chronic fatigue, diabetes, high blood pressure, prostate issues, joint pain, etc. I love hearing success stories like the young 16 yr. old boy who no longer has any signs of autism with the nutrients and detoxing his mother used, not giving up until she found the right products.
I will share more on the Vernonia Lake to create snapshots of ecological issues and realities, along with photos on this blog. Check out my www.leangreencafe.blogspot.com blog for recipes, and health questions and discussions.
Warm regards, Pamela

No comments: